COVID-19: Teacher at Accra Girls SHS (AGISS) and Spouse also test positive
The Accra Girls Senior High Schools (SHS) has recorded it’s eight COVID-19 cases as a teacher and spouse have contracted the deadly coronavirus that has claimed 122 lives in the country.
This was disclosed in a joint statement issued by the Ghana Health Service (GHS) and the Ghana Education Service (GES) copied to SHSTRENDZ.COM
“The Ghana Education Service (GES) received reports of suspected cases of COVID-19 from some second cycle institutions including Accra Girls Senior High school. The Ghana Health Service was subsequently notified of the situation. As of 6th July 2020, six (6) students, a teacher and spouse have been confirmed as positive for COVID-19 in Accra Girls Senior High School”, the statement said.
The management of the Service has assured the general public particularly parents that in accordance with the outlined COVID-19 protocols that have been issued to all schools, adding that the necessary steps have been taken and the 6 confirmed students, the teacher, and Spouse have been taken to a treatment centre for further management and are currently doing well.
The fears of the parents stem from reports by multiple news outlets Sunday that some students of the school showed symptoms of COVID-19 and were isolated in the school’s sickbay on Monday, June 29, 2020.
According to the stories, health officials from the Ayawaso North Health directorate were called in to deal with the matter.
COVID-19 tests were subsequently run on 11 students. Six of them tested positive and were on Saturday, July 4, sent to the Ga East Municipal Hospital for treatment
Other safety measures taken
- All Contacts of confirmed cases have been identified and separated from non-contacts.
- Testing of all contacts of confirmed cases have started.
- The school authorities with the support of the assembly are in the process of disinfecting the affected dormitories.
- The school has put in measures to ensure strict adherence to social distancing and other COVID-19 safety measures.
- Continuous public education sections for staff, students and parents on COVID-19.