The Kumasi Metropolitan Director of Education at the Ghana Health Service (GES), has described as false, reports that some final year students who recently returned to school, contracted the Covid-19 virus.
The Metropolitan Education Office, David Oppong said, had been monitoring events and activities in schools since they were reopened for the final year students to complete their work and write their final examinations.
“Presently, we do not know of any school which has recorded a confirmed case of Covdi-19,” he told the Ghana News Agency (GNA) in Kumasi.
He said the GES working in partnership with the Metropolitan Public Health Committee, had put in place the necessary measures for early detection of signs and symptoms of the disease amongst students.
“We have provided almost every school within our jurisdiction with a thermometer gun for the routine checking of the body temperature of students,” he noted.
Additionally, authorities of the various schools were directed to create isolation centres to take care of students who would show signs of the disease before being sent to the hospital.
Ghanaian schools had for over three months been closed down as the country took measures to contain the spread of the pandemic, which had claimed more than one hundred lives since the country recorded its first two cases on March 12.
With the disease spreading rapidly nationwide, many parents were apprehensive as their wards went back to school to prepare for the West Africa Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE), and the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE). Mr Oppong assured parents of maximum protection for their wards, and entreated the public to treat the rumours circulating on social media with contempt.
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners