No online voting for KNUST SRC as Adu Baah Charles moves for Interim Students’ Representative Committee
President of the Student Representative Council (SRC) of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Adu Baah Charles has signed an executive instrument for the institution of an Interim Students’ Representative Council (ISRC) to manage the affairs of the Council until an election is organized to elect substantial executives.
This has become necessary after the KNUST SRC averted any alternative form of elections, be it delegate or online, according to a statement signed by the president.
“Upon the end of the tenure of the incumbent Students’ Representative Council, and considering the problems associated with any form of alternative elections whether delegate or online ie, accessibility issues, credibility problems and disenfranchisement, I, Master Adu-Baah Charles Jr, President of the SRC (2019/2020) after necessary consultations with relevant stakeholders, have signed an instrument to ensure the continuance of the SRC,” the statement said.
The instrument is to make provision for the ISRC to handle SRC duties till conditions are better for school to resume and then organize a proper SRC election.
The statement noted that the SRC Judicial Chairperson, His Lordship Michael Gyan, shall be responsible for the transition to the Interim Students’ Representative Committee.
Detail of the Executive Instrument
THE INTERIM STUDENTS REPRESENTATIVE ACT, 2020
AN ACT TO PROVIDE FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF AN INTERIM COMMITTEE FOR
THE PURPOSES OF STUDENT REPRESENTATION AND ORGANIZING OF THE STUDENT REPRESENTATIVE COUNCIL ELECTIONS ACCORDING TO ARTICLE 22(1)
AND (2) OF THE SRC CONSTITUTION, 2011(AS AMENDED).
NAME OF COMMITTEE
1.(1) The name of the committee shall be the Interim Students Representative Committee.
(2) The Interim Students Representative Committee shall also be referred to as the ISRC for short.
- (1) The Interim Students Representative Committee shall be made up of 5 members comprising;
(i) A representative from amongst Elected-College Executives.
(ii) A representative from amongst Elected-Hall Executives.
(iii) A representative from amongst Elected-Non Residential and ISA Executives.
(iv) A representative from the Institute of Distant Learning (IDL).
(V) A representative from the Clubs and Societies.
(2). The Chairperson of the Committee shall be appointed by the SRC President in consultation with the SRC Speaker of Parliament and the Judicial Council Chairperson, from the representatives presented under clause 1.
3.(1) To represent students until the SRC election is organized.
(2) To continue with the organization of the SRC and NUGS Elections within the first 14 days upon the commencement of the new academic year for continuing students.
(3) It is required of the committee to consult the outgoing Electoral Commissioner on processes taken so far to conduct the SRC Elections.
(4) To ensure that power is properly transitioned within seven days after the elections, to the duly elected SRC executives.
(5) Any other decision to be taken within this period shall be made in consultation with the Dean of Students’ office. This may include; NUGS and USAG Congresses.
DURATION AND LIMITATIONS
4.(1) The Interim Students Representative Committee shall not undertake any activities that will require the use of funds unless it is towards the organization of the SRC Elections.
(2) The tenure of the Interim Students Representative Committee ends once the 14-day period upon the commencement of the new academic year elapses.
(3) The tenure of the Interim Students Representative Committee may only be extended by the Dean of Students for a maximum of 5 days (where necessary). The extension must be to organize the SRC elections.
(4) Where the mandates assigned to the committee are not met within the limited period, the committee automatically relinquishes its powers to the Dean of Students Office, who shall exercise the locus parentis of students.
THE INTERIM JUDICIAL COMMITTEE (I-JC)
5.(1). The interim Judicial Committee shall comprise of three (3) members appointed by the outgoing SRC President in consultation with the outgoing SRC Judicial Chairperson from continuing Law Students amongst the outgoing Judicial Council Members.
(2). The Chairperson of the interim Judicial Committee shall be appointed by the outgoing SRC President in consultation with the SRC Judicial Chairperson from the three members appointed in clause (1).
(3). The committee should have at least, one female.
(4). A continuing law student from the NUGS Judicial Committee.
(4). The I-JC shall be responsible for the administration of justice within the period.
(5). The I-JC Chairperson and the continuing law student from the NUGS Judicial Committee shall be responsible for the conduct of the handing-over and swearing-in of the Elected SRC and NUGS Executives respectively, per the SRC Constitution, 2011 (as amended) and the NUGS Constitution.
THE INTERIM ELECTORAL COMMITTEE (I-EC)
- (1). The Interim Electoral Committee shall comprise of three members appointed by the ISRC Chairperson in consultation with the committee members from continuing students amongst the outgoing Electoral Commission.
(2). There shall be fair representation from the Halls and Colleges such that no two of the members should be from one hall or college.
(3). The committee should have at least one female.
(4). The chairperson of the interim Electoral Commissioner shall be appointed by the ISRC Chairperson on the advice of the outgoing SRC Electoral Commissioner.
(5). The I-EC shall be responsible for the conduct of SRC and NUGS Elections within the period.