The Legon-based institution was founded in 1938. It was originally located at Odumase – Krobo in the Eastern Region of Ghana. It was started as a secondary school for boys by the Presbyterian Church of Ghana. The school has ties with its sister school, Aburi Girls’ Senior High School.
In September 1968, the new campus at Legon just north-east of the University of Ghana campus at ‘Mile 9, received its first set of students.
Notable alumni are Elorm Adablah (E.L), Hammer of Last Two, Kwaku Sintim-Misa (Comedian), Dr. Kwesi Botchwey (Ghana’s longest-serving Minister of Finance) etc.
In 1995 the school won the 2nd edition of the National Science and Math Quiz competition. PRESEC, Southern Sector Champions, defeated Opoku Ware School, Northern Sector Champion in the Final of Finals.
2002 Civic Education Club handing-over ceremony. On the right are the class of 2002 executives led by Yaw Boakye-Yiadom,
Club President, (tallest) handing over to the class of 2003 executives. Looking on are former headmaster J. J. Asare, NCCE officials, local club patron Oromasis Abbey
- On 16 June 2008, NIIT Ghana organised the inter-school ICT Quiz contest at The Great Hall, Kumasi which showcased the talent from five regions of Ghana. 78 schools participated from the regions in regional qualifying rounds to make it to the mega-finals. One winner from every region, contested for the National Title of NIIT ICT Expert 2008 in Kumasi. PRESEC, emerged the champions- NIIT ICT Expert 2008 Winners beating the regional champions: St. James Seminary SHS, Sunyani (Brong-Ahafo), Opoku Ware School, Kumasi (Ashanti Region), St. Augustine’s College, Cape Coast (Central Region) and Baidoo Bonsoe SHS, Takoradi (Western Region).
- On 8 July 2008, PRESEC won the National Science and Math Quiz for a 4th time. The school defeated Opoku Ware School in the final. This made it the 3rd time PRESEC has defeated Opoku Ware in the final. On 24 June 2009, not only did PRESEC win the prestigious quiz competition for a fifth time, but also, they became the first school ever to successfully defend their title as National Champions. PRESEC defeated Achimota Senior High School in the final.
- In 2010, two students represented Ghana and won a bronze medal in the International Junior Science Olympiad, out of 35 countries across the world.
- In 2010, a student was honoured at the WASSCE 2009 Excellence Awards Ceremony, as Best Candidate in the General Science Program, the National Best Candidate and then the Overall Best Candidate in West Africa; and a student was Overall Best in the Business Program.
- On 13 May 2011, the school won the VRA 50th Anniversary Inter-Schools Debate Competition beating Mfantsipim School in the finals of the competition.
- September 2011, the school won the Sprite Ball Inter-Schools Basketball Championship, defeating defending champions, Achimota School 10-8 in the finals.
- On 2 September 2011, the school won the maiden edition of the Coke Hit Single. The competition featured musical talents from 32 senior high schools who vied for the ultimate title of “Coke Hit Single” – Best high school musical talents in Ghana.
- In March 2013, during the WASSCE 2012 Excellence Awards, a student was judged the Overall Best Candidate in the General Arts Program in the West African Examinations Council’s examinations (West African Examinations Council) conducted throughout the West African sub-region; in a year where the Council recorded its highest number ‘ever’ of candidates meeting its minimum eligibility criterion for the excellence awards, that is 8 grade A1s – (530 candidates out of the total 174,385 candidates who sat for the May/June WASSCE in 2012).