The National Science and Maths Quiz (NSMQ) is the oldest and most popular quiz competition contested annually by Senior High Schools in Ghana since 1994.
With almost an over 24-year history, some schools have been more successful in the academic contest than others.
Graphic Online takes a look at the most successful schools in the history of the NSMQ;
- Presbyterian Boys’ Senior High School (PRESEC) – Five (5) trophies
Although the PRESEC boys are currently enduring a 10-year trophy drought, they have won the NSMQ a record five times with their first triumph coming in the second edition in 1995. PRESEC also won the 1995, 2003, 2006, 2008 and 2009 editions of the NSMQ.
- Prempeh College, Kumasi – Four (4) trophies
Prempeh won the first edition of the NSMQ in 1994 and have gone add to win it three more times. They won it in 1996, 2015 and 2017.
- St. Peter’s Senior High School, Nkwatia – Three (3) trophies
St. Peter’s were the 2018 champions of the NSMQ, their previous triumphs came in the year 2000 and 2005.
- Opoku Ware SHS, Mfantsipim School, Cape Coast, and Achimota School, Accra and St. Augustine’s College, Cape Coast – Two (2) trophies
Opoku Ware won the NSMQ in the year 1997 and 2002 while Mfantsipim claimed it in 1999 and 2014.
Achimota was successful in the NSMQ final in 1998 and 2004.
St Augustine’s College won it in 2007 and 2019.
- One (1) trophy – Four (4) schools
Five schools have won the NSMQ once. The schools are; Pope John SHS, Koforidua, Ghana Secondary Technical School, Takoradi, Adisadel College and St Thomas Aquinas SHS.
No girls’ school has won the trophy
Aquinas is the only exclusively day school to have won the trophy