Diploma Programme in General Drilling
This is a two year (4-semester) programme run by the Department of Geological Engineering. The programme aims at addressing the needs of middle-level personnel in drilling for mineral/oil exploration, geotechnical and hydrogeological establishments. The successful candidate should be competent to take up jobs in the mining, oil, hydrogeological and allied industries and be able to design, operate, work in a team and supervise drilling operations under all conditions as well as have knowledge in using modern drilling equipment.
An applicant must satisfy any of the following:
- SSCE Holders: Six Passes (A-D) in all subjects which are English Language, Mathematics, Integrated Science, Physics, Elective Mathematics, Chemistry or Metal Work or Technical Drawing or Applied Electricity or Applied Electronics.
- WASSCE Holders:
a. Passes (A1-D7) in English Language, Mathematics, and Integrated Science.
b. Must possess a minimum of C6 in the following subjects: Physics, Elective Mathematics, Chemistry or Metal Work or Technical Drawing or Applied Electricity or Applied Electronics.
- General Certificate of Education (GCE) Ordinary Level credits in five (5) subjects including English language, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics; and General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Level passes in Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics.
- GCE Ordinary Level Certificate with credits or SSCE with Passes in five subjects including English Language and Mathematics plus experience in the relevant area of study.
- City and Guilds of London Institute Part III Certificate or its equivalent in either Mechanical, Automobile, or Electrical Engineering.
- Holders of Certificate of Proficiency in General Drilling (one year course) from the University of Mines and Technology, Tarkwa or a recognised institution are eligible.
- Applicants with SSS Five passes (A-E) in all subjects including English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science.
- Applicants with WASS Certificate Five passes (AD7) in all subjects including English Language, Mathematics and Integrated Science.
- Applicants with Ordinary and Advanced Level Certificates Candidates must have FIVE passes in all subjects of GCE O Level including English Language, Mathematics and Science.
NOTE: These are weekend (Saturday and Sunday) programmes.
Applicants should be at least 25 years of age and should have SSSCE or GCE ‘O’ Level Certificate with credits in Five (5) subjects including English Language, Mathematics and the relevant Science subjects plus experience in the relevant area of study in addition to passing an Entrance Examination and/ or an interview. Mature applicants must also possess birth certificates which are, at least, five (5) years old after the date of issue.
Applicants who satisfy UMaT’s minimum entry requirement of aggregate 36 but cannot meet the competitive departmental cut-off aggregate can apply for admission as Fee-Paying students provided they have sponsorship to cover their fees throughout their study at UMaT. All fee-paying applicants must select “Fee-Paying” option on their Application Forms.